Wednesday, July 25, 2012

In their words

“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
- What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

 

Calvin & Hobbes


I have said this. To my husband (often!), to friends and if I am honest here, I have said it to myself. I think most of us have. But, how many of us truly believe it?

Do you have to be in the right mood to create? 

Can you turn it on and off like a faucet? Or is the creativity there, always present and (as Picasso said) "it just has to find you working"?

I think it's a little of both. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Funny... I have said these exact words to my husband as well. I agree... I think it is a little of both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I think we get so busy that its hard to just spontaneously flip the switch and we are creative. It's not lost, it's there, always below the surface. We do need to carve out time for it, have some down time and time to unplug and let the creative juices rise to the surface...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I agree it's a little of both but I think I have to be in the right frame of mind. When I'm ready to be creative you better get out of my way! Love the pic of the goldfinch in your backyard. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for posting, Becky! I so relate to that. When I'm in that 'zone', I can really tune out everything going on around me and accomplish alot. Ed is used to that and he sees it coming a million miles away! Lol! Thank God for that. :) I used to be much more focused though and I miss those days (weeks) when I could just lose myself in a painting. Nowadays, I have the tendancy to get distracted and over-schedule. So finding time to to sit down and work on my art becomes another thing I have to fit into the schedule, which, for me, doesn't work as well as waiting for the mood, or the right day when I've checked everything off my list and I have nothing to do but create. I can't just flip that switch. It definately is a 'right frame of mind' type of thing for me most of the time. Trying to overcome that, now that I recognize it, but it's easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete